Mary Walton is a professional editor and online tutor. Her tutoring work with people of all ages has allowed her to explore education in all of its guises. Her blog shares more on what she has learned from her experiences.
It’s time to start thinking about getting your college applications ready. You may be worried about writing the essay that convinces your dream college to admit you. After all, it may be the longest piece of writing you’ve had to do to date. Don’t worry, as there is help out there for you.
Here are nine of the best tools to use when writing your admissions essay:
1. Story 2: This all in one tool will help you in all aspects of putting your essay together. You can use the Moments Method to start gathering your ideas, and you can get in touch with other students to share tips. You’ll even be able to keep all of your essays together in one place, so you can keep track of all your applications easily.
2. Tips For A Great Application: This article, as the title suggests, gives you usable tips for putting your essay together. They’ve gathered them into three sections: ‘Make your application stand out’, ‘Request an interview’, and ‘Write a strong essay’.
3. Boom Essays: You may have written the best admissions essay possible, but if it’s poorly proofread, no one’s going to give it a second look. This writing service will take in your essay and check it over with a fine toothcomb, giving you back an essay that’s grammatically perfect.
4. Application and Essay Tips: This piece gives you lots of practical advice on getting your essay done. They suggest proofreading carefully, watching your deadlines, and keeping track of everywhere that you’ve applied to.
5. Wow Writing Workshops: This service will match you with an experienced writing coach to get the most out of your essay. They can give you an insight into what colleges want, and maximise your writing skills so you get the offer you’re looking for.
6. Essayroo: Not sure where you’re going to start? This writing service will help you out. Send them your essay question, and they can work with you to create a workable plan to write from. They can even check it over for you afterwards. With their help, you’ll create a beautifully laid out essay that will net you admission anywhere you desire.
7. Carleton Essay Tips: These tips give you ways to think about your essay, so when you come to write it you’ve got yourself into the right frame of mind. They suggest treating it as an opportunity rather than a burden, writing thoughtfully, and tell the reader something different.
8. Ten Top Tips For Writing A College Essay: This article gives you tips on the writing process. It’s really helpful when you’re sat at your laptop and you’re worrying about how you’re going to get started. They give you ideas on what to write about, so you can get down to the task of getting your thoughts on paper, rather than endlessly tossing ideas around.
9. An Admissions Dean Offers Advice on Writing a College Essay: This piece gives you advice right from the horse’s mouth. Do you want to know what the admissions dean wants from your admissions essay? The writer of this article tells you. Their advice includes using your own voice, and not trying to impress the reader. Let your personality shine through and show them just why you’re college material.
Now you have the tools at hand to write the best admissions essay you’re capable of. You’ll be able to tell the colleges you apply to just why they should choose you, and how you’ll help put them on the map. Try them out and see for yourself.